Plaque is the colorless and fuzzy feeling you experience when bacteria are allowed to form in your mouth and on your teeth. When proper dental care is followed, it is nothing to worry about. Here you will find the facts that you need to know about plaque.
How Does Plaque Form?
The leading cause of plaque is consumption of foods and beverages high in sugars and starches. Products such as candy and milk leave a residue on teeth which the bacteria that live naturally in the mouth feed on. This bacteria will turn into acids that over time will destroy the enamel of the tooth.
How Do You Prevent Plaque?
There are many ways to prevent plaque buildup:
• Brush your teeth twice a day using a soft-bristled brush and fluoride toothpaste. Remember to pay special attention to the area where your gums meet your teeth.
• Floss daily to remove food from between your teeth.
• Eat a healthy diet. Healthy foods such as green vegetables help to remove the acides caused by plaque and help boost the production of saliva.
• Replace unhealthy snacks with healthier options such as cheese, fruit and raw vegetables.
• Use an antibacterial rinse specially formulated to reduce bacteria.
• Visit your dentist for regular teeth cleanings and checkups twice a year.
• If necessary, discuss the possibility of sealants for your teeth with your dentist. This will provide additional protection to your teeth.
In the end, the best way to ensure proper oral health is to discuss your needs with your dentist regularly. Following the advice of your Schenectady, NY dentist can save you time and money on plaque removal and caring for your teeth in the future.